Re: Phoneme discrimination tests

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Hugo de Paula wrote:

> Most of discrimination tests that allow the contruction of a phoneme based
> confusion matrix uses nonsense words like DRT and MRT. Does anyone know of a
> database and/or test procedure that allows us to find this kind of results
> using rhyme words or sentences that are part of the language instead of using
> nonsense?

I am just wondering whether nonsense speech testing has ever been extended
to sentences. That is, has anybody ever made an algorithm that
creates nonsense sentences "in a given language". By this restriction I
mean that
1. Some basic statistics of the generated sentences (e.g. phoneme
statistics, word-length statistics) should fit that of the language.
2. The generated sentences should obey the phonotactic rules of the
language.
3. The edit distance between the words of the generated text and any real
word of the language should by larger than a certain threshold.

               Laszlo Toth
        Hungarian Academy of Sciences         *
  Research Group on Artificial Intelligence   *   "Failure only begins
     e-mail: tothl@inf.u-szeged.hu            *    when you stop trying"
     http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~tothl        *