Height and Pitch

Hello all,
Regarding the discussion on height and pitch. From my experience of teaching
music to young children one thing I have always noticed is their initial
association between height and volume; they seem to find this more
intuitive. Also, many music education courses focus very much, in the early
stages, on building an association between height and pitch; I am talking
about music courses founded in western tonal music. This association between
height does, however, provide a very effective means of describing and
becoming more aware of the relative changes in the sounds they hear, once a
alternative way of describing volume is provided.

Deirdre Bolger

Dept. Computer Science and Information Systems,
University of Limerick,