Re: Limit of phase-locking

No. As the latency-dependence of the N1-component has only reported for spectrally unresolved complex tones, the result of Ragot and Crottaz has to be interpreted in terms of cochler interference patterns, having a periodicity corresponding to the frequency difference between adjacent
harmonics (e.g: harmonics with 800, 900, 1000 Hz: periodicity of 100 Hz). Hence, it is not necessary for the auditory nerve to phase lock to the high spectral components but just to signal envelope, having a much lower periodicity. Therefore, this experiment does not provide any measure of
the upper limit of neural phase-locking in humans.

--
Dr. Annemarie Seither-Preisler

Institut für Experimentelle Audiologie, Biomagnetismuszentrum
Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster
Kardinal von Galen Ring 10
D-48129 Münster

Tel.: 0049 / 251 / 83 / 56817
Fax: 0049 / 251 / 83 / 56882