Announcing a Matlab version of the Auditory Image Model (AIM)

Announcing a Matlab version of the Auditory Image Model (AIM)

Some time ago, we developed a time-domain model of auditory processing to
simulate the auditory images we hear when presented with complex sounds
like music, speech, bird songs, engines, etc*. In this model, an auditory
filterbank is used to perform a spectral analysis of a sound wave and
convert into a simulation of the basilar membrane motion (BMM) that the
sound would produce in the cochlea. Then a bank of haircell simulators is
used to convert the BMM into a simulation of the Neural Activity Pattern
(NAP) that the sound would produce at the level of the auditory nerve or
cochlear nucleus. And finally, a form of Strobed Temporal Integration is
applied to each channel of the NAP to stabilize any repeating patterns in
the NAP and convert it into a simulation of our auditory image of the sound.

The original version of AIM (aim1992) was written in C and limited to Unix
operating systems. There was also a version, referred to as aim2000, for
the DSAM/AMS platform of O'Mard and Meddis. It was also written in C but it
is available for Windows and Linux as well as Unix systems.

Now we have produced a Matlab version of AIM (aim2003) to provide a
flexible development platform for auditory modelers and to take advantage
of the display options in Matlab. It is referred to as aim-mat and the code
can be downloaded from the CNBH web site.

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/cnbh/aimmanual/Introduction/Introductionframeset.htm

* Introductions to the auditory image model are presented in:

Patterson, R.D., Robinson, K., Holdsworth, J., McKeown, D., Zhang, C. and
Allerhand M. (1992) 'Complex sounds and auditory images', In: Auditory
physiology and perception, Proceedings of the 9h International Symposium on
Hearing, Y Cazals, L. Demany, K. Horner (eds), Pergamon, Oxford, 429-446.

Roy D. Patterson, Mike H. Allerhand and Christian Giguere (1995).
Time-domain modelling of peripheral auditory processing: A modular
architecture and a software platform, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. vol 98, 1890-1894.

Patterson, R.D. (2000). "Auditory images: How complex sounds are
represented in the auditory system," J. Acoust. Soc. Japan(E) 21 (4), 183-190.

* ** *** * ** *** * ** *** * ** *** * ** *** * ** *** * ** *** * ** ***
Roy D. Patterson
Centre for the Neural Basis of Hearing
Physiology Department, University of Cambridge
Downing Street, Cambridge, CB2 3EG

phone   44 (1223) 333819        office
phone   44 (1223) 333837        lab
fax     44 (1223) 333840        department
email   rdp1@cam.ac.uk
  or
email   roy.patterson@mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~roy.patterson