Can Audio be further Compressed by Replacing FFT Magnitude Spectrum with Excitation Pattern

Title: Can Audio be further Compressed by Replacing FFT Magnitude Spectrum with Excitation Pattern

Dear Experts and Lists,
   I would  be most grateful if you could give any comment, advice and further information about the idea: further audio compression  with excitation pattern  replacing  the FFT magnitude spectrum used in calculating masked threshold and the related bit allocation in current audio codecs such as AC3 and AAC. . The motivation for this thought is on the basis of  the fact that excitation patterns are much flatter than the magnitude spectrum.

   Thank you  for your kind attention.
    I am looking forward to hearing your Reponses.

Fa-Long Luo