Re: Bite-induced pitch shift?

I'm surprised at the puzzlement over this effect.

I've noticed it for years - but it's distinctly a small INCREASE in apparent
pitch - perhaps 1/8 semitone (I've never tried to measure it). And I can get
it by just clenching my teeth hard while listening to a pitch. I just
confirmed it now with a piano note. I've no idea of the explanation - but
I've always assumed that it was a slight stretching (tightening) of the
tympanic membrane caused by the jaw muscle tension, or something like that -
or I suppose the muscles attached to the ossicles. But I'd be astonished if
it was a pitch effect caused by an intensity change. That seems more
'roundabout' than is justified. (Though I admit that my own hunch is quite
possibly completely wrong).

Eric Clarke

Eric Clarke,
Music Department,