Re: Bite-induced pitch shift?

The following may be of interest:

http://www.nature.com/nsu/980827/980827-2.html
The ears of modern insects are thought to have evolved from stretch or
vibration detectors, just from the anatomy and the fact that insects' ears
can appear on a wide variety of different body parts. . . . the remarkable
hearing organs of a type of tropical grasshopper which, in evolutionary
terms, has been around for a long time. Their discovery of the insect's
primitive-but-powerful hearing organs confirms that stretch receptors do
indeed form the starting point for the evolution of hearing, and shows that
these transitional hearing organs are in fact very effective, even though
they are a long way from the more complex organs
= = = = =

As an audiologist working with children who have hearing, listening and/or
learning problems, I see a very high number of children who have an
unexplained low-frequency air-conduction but not bone-conduction hearing
loss.  I have always felt that this was due to the limited mobility of the
eardrum, secondary to negative middle ear pressure, and a cascade of
subsequent events which degraded auditory perception in a language-learning
child.

Nancy Rowe

Nancy W. Rowe, M.S., FAAA
www.neuronetonline.com