Re: Granular synthesis software

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Gygi" <bgygi@EBIRE.ORG>

> Does anyone know of any freely available code for granular synthesis -
> pref. in Matlab, but C++ or Visual Basic would also be OK.  Any leads are
> appreciated.

Depends on what you mean with "granular synthesis". I have written a
granular effect (using a delay line, panning, feedback, pitch shifting,
freezing, ...) from scratch in C++ myself, implemented as a VST and Audio
Unit plugin for processing real-time sound streams (KTGranulator, you can
download it at http://www.smartelectronix.com/~koen). If you really want my
code or a library around my code, you can use the form on the
Smartelectronix web site to contact me directly.

You might also want to check out the Csound source code: I've heard that
there is C code in there for different kinds of granular
synthesis/processing. Never saw it myself though, so I can't tell you about
the code quality.

Do check out Ross Bencina's great "Implementing real-time granular
synthesis" at http://www.audiomulch.com/~rossb. This might not be your
standard "scientific paper" on the subject, but it surely contains a lot
more to-the-point information on the implementation of the techniques than I
could find in most "peer reviewed articles/books", and the accompanying
GPL'ed C++ code is there too. Also, his modular program AudioMulch really
*uses* the things he wrote in this article, so you're sure it really works
and you can download it for free.
Although I knew AudioMulch, I had never seen this information until after I
implemented my granulator. It would have been much easier, especially since
I wanted to make an effect very similar to his delay line granulator, but as
a plugin so you can use it in several programs (any VST/AU compatible
program, and also DX compatible ones if you use a VST/DX wrapper). So I hope
you find the link useful (I surely do now).

Also: I'm not sure about this, but I doubt you will get much information on
this newsgroup for questions like yours. You're probably better off on the
music-dsp mailing list/web site maintained by Bram & David at
http://www.musicdsp.org (there are also code snippets for various other
music processing related techniques in the code archive).

I hope I at least gave you some useful directions.
Good luck!

Koen Tanghe