How to Classify Coding Artifacts?

Dear members of the Auditory list:

I would like to know if there is any tutorial that teaches how to classify audio/speech coding artifacts (pre-echoes, aliasing artifacts, birdies, etc.). For example, if I listen to a piece of coded excerpt with some artifacts in it; how do I say the kind of artifacts it has, without knowing the details of how it was coded?

I got hold of one CD from the AES, "Perceptual Audio Coders: What to listen for" but still I'm not confident.

Is there any other suitable material? Or, does one gain it with years of listening experience?