"Brain gain" scheme for the UK

Dear list - i thought this "brain gain" scheme (see below) might be
interesting to some of you - please pass on as you see fit.
thanks, Marina

---
Marina Rose, phd
Lecturer in Auditory Sciences
Aston University - www.aston.ac.uk
Birmingham, England
Academic visitor at Oxford University - www.ox.ac.uk

---- "BRAIN GAIN SCHEME" for the UK -----------------------------------

The Office of Science and Technology has announced a £10 million "brain
gain" scheme for over 100 students from India, China, Hong Kong, Russia,
and the developing world to study here for 3 years for a PhD, from
October 2004.  Visas for mathematicians, scientists and engineers will
allow them to work in the UK for 12 months post-PhD.

UK Research Councils will match funding from BP, Hutchison Whampoa (Hong
Kong), Scottish Power, and Vodafone for this scheme, to be administered
for the OST by the EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research
Council)
The awards recognise the work done by Dorothy Hodgkin to help overseas
students, particularly women, to study in the UK.

Details will be announced in January 2004.
The list of 150 eligible (developing world) countries, from Afghanistan
to Zimbabwe, can be downloaded from the website
http://www.ost.gov.uk/research/funding_schemes.htm

---
ps. if you are interested in central auditory processing, auditory
memory, dyslexia or obscure auditory processing disorder, and would like
to work with me or one of my colleagues at Aston University's
Neuroscience Institute (www.aston.ac.uk/lhs/research/nri/- The auditory
group is brand new and not yet mentioned on the web page, sorry! but
have a look at www.aston.ac.uk/marketing/releases/1jul.htm for things to
come...) or at Oxford University please get in touch with me via my
Oxford email address (marina.rose@physiol.ox.ac.uk).

--
marina rose
university laboratory of physiology