I don't hear my heart

Hello list,

Localization and lateralizaation have occupied my research for over 10
years now and I hope to publish soon. I do have a question regarding
the  "hearing" of sounds internal to our bodies.  I cannot hear my heart
under normal conditions.  If however I'm sick and my heart pounds I can
hear it. My heart is of course not within my haptic space nor is it in
my visual space.

Question ...Why can I not hear my heart under normal conditions ?

It is I am sure not a question of sound level.

Fred

Fred Herzfeld, MIT'54
78 Glynn Marsh Drive #59
Brunswick, Ga.  31525-0504