From: beaucham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: March 16, 2006
To: audio@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: - "Birdies"

Bob Masta said (in part):
"Birdies" are little whistling sounds that are related to the
program material, but are not harmonics of it.

We've encountered "birdies" in upper harmonics when trying to
separate voices from mixtures, using a strictly harmonic model.
If the upper harmonics are perturbed even slightly from their
"proper" amplitudes, they tend to audibly stick out, causing
this type of artifact. We also call the effect "chattering".

Jim Beauchamp
Univ. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign