Re: On the use of windows

The use of and impact of windowing in spectral analysis and synthesis
are very well known, especially
in the audio coding world.  I would point people to some papers by my
colleague Louis Fielder here at
Dolby and in particular his work on the Dolby E coding system.  This
system uses a number of windows
of varying lengths and shapes and Louis did extensive work on optimizing
the windows for the coding system.

I would like to reiterate what Fred points out:  using windows to avoid
edge effects can have a very
serious impact in the resulting analysis and potential synthesis.  I
like to point out to newcomers that
multiplication of the window in the time domain is the same as
convolution in the frequency domain and
that this will obviously change the resulting spectrum of the windowed
data.  (Sine waves are a good test
signal to learn about the effects as the spectral smearing is more
obvious).

Brett

Brett G Crockett | Senior Member of the Technical Staff, Sound
Technology, Research | Dolby Laboratories Inc. | 100 Potrero Avenue San
Francisco, CA 94103-4813 | Tel. 415.558.0357 | Fax. 415.863.1373