NIPS 06 call for papers (deadline June 9)

Dear List -

Many of you will be familiar with NIPS, the annual Neural Information
Processing Systems conference that has become the premier venue for
cutting edge ideas in learning and novel information processing
directions.  This year's conference will be December 4-7 in Vancouver,
BC.

This year I am part of the program committee and I am hoping to
encourage a wider representation of sound and hearing-related papers
than we have seen in recent years.

If you are working on models that deal with information in sound, please
consider submitting to the conference.  At the very least, I can
guarantee to do my best to match your submissions to reviewers who are
sympathetic to sound and hearing.

You can see the full call for papers here:

  http://www.nips.cc/Conferences/2006/Calls/CallForPapers.html

There's a specific section on Speech and Signal Processing which lists:
recognition, coding, synthesis, denoising, segmentation, source
separation, auditory perception, psychoacoustics, dynamical systems,
recurrent networks, Language Models, Dynamic and Temporal models.

I think that covers just about everything, but this year I will be
particularly pleased to see papers on sound organization, getting
information about sources and the environment, and other kinds of tasks
that represent the overlap between this list and the information
processing modeling core of NIPS.

I hope you will make the effort to submit.  Ask anyone who has been to
NIPS, it's an extremely vibrant, supportive, and fertile forum for
exciting ideas.

Best,

-- DAn Ellis <dpwe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.ee.columbia.edu/~dpwe/
   Dept. of Elec. Eng., Columbia Univ., New York NY 10027 (212) 854-8928