Re: another question on working memory

Flaithrí Neff wrote:

Dear List,

The phonological loop in the Baddeley and Hitch model of working memory seems to be focused on speech based audio..... is there a similar component in working memory for non-speech audio?

I believe Aimee Surprenant has done some work in this area. If you go to her website http://www2.psych.purdue.edu/~aimee/pubs.html you can find links to some publications of hers on this. I seem to recall one major issue was that of rehearsal, which is a major component of the phonological loop model. It is not clear how rehearsal would be applied to non-speech sounds.

Brian Gygi
Acoustics Research Institute
Vienna, Austria