Women@CL Workshop at ICAD

We are happy to announce the first workshop for supporters of women working in the ICAD community (please see the information below for details). We are also fortunate to have received funding from Women @CL (www.cl.cam.ac.uk/women/) for scholarships for graduate students pursuing their work in ICAD fields to assist them in attending the Women @CL workshop and the ICAD conference that is taking place in London at Queen Mary University of London (see www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/ icad2006 for complete information.) Each scholarship will be for the amount of 200 pounds and can be used for expenses incurred for attending ICAD. It is our wish to especially encourage women and men graduate students who might not be able to attend the conference without additional support to apply.

We are currently seeking applications from graduate students in the form of a brief one page position statement describing her or his research and how attendance at the conference would help her or him to develop in this research area. The statement should also include an explanation of other sources from which funding has been solicited and the individual's interests in supporting women in ICAD.

Interested individuals should direct their questions or send their statements to Terri Bonebright (tbone@xxxxxxxxxx) by Friday, June 2.

We hope to see many of you at ICAD!

Women@CL Workshop at ICAD
Date
Time
	14:00-16:00
Cost
	FREE
Organiser
	Terri Bonebright (tbone@xxxxxxxxxx)
Sponsored by
	Women@CL

This event will take place after lunch on Wednesday afternoon of ICAD 2006.

The provisional structure for the event is as follows:
1 Icebreaker.
2 Past -- 2-3 talks from panel members describing their graduate training and experiences in the field.
3 Present -- "lightening" talks from the rest of the participants.
These will be limited to 5 minutes (using a timer) where participants can do a number of things, such as talk about difficulties they are having for which they need advice; present a research problem for which they would like feedback; tell their story about how they came to the field, where they are now, and where they would like to go in the future. If time allows, there will be discussion within the group related to appropriate talks.
4 Future -- where we should go from here to provide: role modeling, mentoring, networking (which are the three things that have been found to be effective for women in computer science). There will be brainstorming to provide plans for the future for both sessions at ICAD and other types of activities. For example, would women want to set-up "assigned" mentors for the junior members? Would it be useful to have a list serve with a moderator where women could send questions confidentially and then these questions along with answers could be sent to the whole group? Would there be enough women to set- up resource groups for specific geographic or disciplinary areas.