Re: ØØ: working memory and melody

But is there any difference in performance according to 'type' of music?
I ask because I listen to 'ambient' music all day whilst on my PC. Ambient music is supposed to be 'background', and certainly, I easily screen it out when necessary. Other music, I find irritating when trying to work. It's not simply a matter of intrinsic detail, since ambient music is often very finely detailed. I'me sure it's a foreground/background thing. By tjhis, I mean that much modern music (I use the term modern rather loosely)  has a predominance of 'foreground' material -i.e. stuff that is supposed to 'snatch' one's attention. It may be contentious, but I think this foreground/background distinction is intrinsic to the material - i.e. extrinsic to the individual perceiver. Whilst there may be wide variation in responses to certain types of music, I maintain that it's too simple to say that this is something that is 'merely subjective'.
In a similar vein, when driving, I'll often mentally tune out of the radio (esp. talk radio - BBC radio 4) whilst negotiating a complex situation such as a crowded road junction. I'll tune back in afterwards to find I've completely missed a chunk. More 'in your face' stations (I rarely listen to them!) I will actually turn the volume down for the duration.
 Likewise with in-car conversation - I may be able to actually talk during a complex manoevre, but not listen. In fact, my family are used to me saying 'hang on a minute' if they're talking and I need to concentrate; admittedly, they accuse me of senility (which could even be partly true!). The difference between being able to talk and listen is interesting - they're clearly not simply the same activity in reciprocal.

regards
ppl

>>> "Almanadely, Yousry(Bahrain)" <yousry.almanadely@xxxxxxxxx> 14/06/2006 17:18 >>>

________________________________

ÙÙ: Robbin Miranda [mailto:raw25@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
ØØØÙØ ØÙØØØØÙ: ØÙØØØØØØ 24/05/2006 06:27 Ù
ØÙÙ: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ØÙÙÙØÙØ: Re: working memory and melody

Dear Bruno and List,
I noticed the same thing myself in college: listening to music did not interfere with math homework, but I could not read or write while listening to any type of music.  I believe that this is due to the necessary allocation of some of the same neural structures for both musical and linguistic processing. For instance, BA 44 or Broca's area is thought to be involved in "syntactic" processing of both music and language.

I've listed a few references below.  There are many more relevant papers out there, but these are some of the ones that first came to mind.

~Robbin

Besson M. and Sch?n D. (2001) Comparison between music and language.  Ann N Y
Acad Sci. 930: 232-258.

Koelsch S., Gunter T.C., v. Cramon Y., Zysset S., Lohmann G., and Friederici A.D.
(2002) Bach speaks: A cortical âlanguage-networkâ serves the processing of music.  NeuroImage. 17: 956-966.

Maess B., Koelsch S., Gunter T.C., and Friederici A.D. (2001) Musical syntax is
processed in Brocaâs area: an MEG study.  Nature Neuroscience. 4(5): 540-545.

Patel A.D., Gibson E., Ratner J., Besson M., and Holcomb P.J. (1998) Processing
syntactic relations in language and music: An event-related potential study.  Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience. 10(6): 717-733.

Robbin Miranda
Interdisciplinary Program in Neuroscience
Georgetown University
3900 Reservoir Rd., NW
Washington DC 20007
(202) 687-8449