From: "Richard F. Lyon" <DickLyon@xxxxxxx>
To: <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: Wave reflection.

If this WKB validity issue matters to you, you
better check out the appendix to Lloyd Watts's
JASA paper (L. Watts, "The Mode-Coupling
Liouville-Green Approximation for a
two-dimensional Cochlear Model", Journal of the
Acoustical Society of America, vol. 108, no. 5,
pp. 2266-2271, Nov., 2000), which you can find
linked here:
http://www.lloydwatts.com/cochlea.shtml
He says the usual criterion is only "first order"
correct, and that in fact the WKB solution
remains valid to much smaller k values (longer
wavelengths) than it suggests; so the long-wave
solution is OK near the base, where this
criterion says it should not be.
He also shows what goes wrong past resonance, and how to fix it.

Dick