Re: making a sound unrecognizable (the satanic trick)

Hi Massimo

Actually, I did a study on identifiability of time reversed sounds
(presented at the 2004 ARO) in which I found that time reversal was only
good at obscuring very short sounds, such as an axe chopping.  Longer
sounds, such as a tree falling and baby crying were barely affected at
all.  I think that longer sounds are more robust because of the
the long term spectral structure.  Most shorter sounds have broad band
spectra so the only cues available are temporal.

Best

Brian