Re: two cycles

It does not (I think) specifically address this point, but the method described in Gardner and Magnasco's paper "Sparse time-frequency representations", see

is offered as a possible explanation for the "remarkable acuity of auditory perception". As a signal processing algorithm (that is, mathematically), under the right conditions, the reassignment method can give quite precise estimates of the frequencies of resolvable components given only two fundamental periods.

Perhaps this paper is of interest?

Fred Herzfeld wrote:

Can anyone point me to literature which shows how the auditory system performs the "two cycle" feat, or to papers which show how such a "two cycle" feat might be acomplished mathematically or to any papers of a more recent origin which discusses this ability.

-- Kelly Fitz, DSP Research Engineer Starkey Hearing Research Center