Re: introductory reading on auditory perception

Dear Erin,

If you want to include an introduction to auditory scene analysis
(ASA), here are a couple of items you might use:

1.  Bregman, A.S., & Ahad, P. (1996) Demonstrations of Auditory Scene
Analysis: The Perceptual Organization of Sound. Audio compact disk.
(Distributed by MIT Press).
      (These are audio demonstrations of ASA, with enough explanation
in the booklet for the students to follow the demos  without any prior
background.  This is a painless way to learn about ASA, because the
demos are interesting to listen to and the text explains just enough
to get the students curious about the principles

2.   Bregman, A.S. (1993) Auditory scene analysis: Listening in
complex environments.  In S.E. McAdams, and E. Bigand (Eds.) Thinking
in sound.  London: Oxford University Press, pp. 10-36.
      (This is a quick overall summary.  It could be combined with item #1.)

I hope the course goes well.

-- Al
Albert S. Bregman, Emeritus Professor
Psychology Department, McGill University
1205 Docteur Penfield Avenue
Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 1B1.
    Tel: (514) 484-2592, (514) 398-6103
    Fax: (514) 484-2592