Re: Musical vs everyday listening --- an illustrative example

Hi,

The discussion on listening might be more focused if we switch some assumptions. Rather than thinking sound by itself, either useful or noise, we can consider sound to be the vehicle for transporting a life-event into consciousness. We want to be connected to some events and not to others. Those of us who invest in auditory phenomena think of sound as concrete even though as a species we evolved a hearing system for a purpose: to connect to dynamic events (both social and natural) that are not visible or otherwise detectable. This alternative view provides a richer language of concepts. Additional discussions can be found in my book.

Regards,
Barry Blesser