Re: Robust method of fundamental frequency estimation

I guess this topic and thread is now starting to cross between :
a] Mathematical techniques of estimating fundamental frequency
b] Perception of fundamental frequency and salience
c] Psychoacoustic abstraction of experimental evidence for fundamental
   frequency salience
d] Physiological mechanisms of hearing the fundamental frequency and

Locked away in the physical inner ear is the truly amazing property for
the perception of a fundamental frequency ... even when it is not
present !

I draw attention again to the afferent/efferent non-linear cross-over :
You will require www.octave.org to run it out of the box.

This previous model needs to be updated with a delay and filter between
the periphery and the CNS, but that is not too difficult ... reviewed in
a lumped model here :

Salience and fundamental frequency generation must all be a part of the
same circuit and machinery. Neither a mathematical ACF approach, nor a
different psychoacoustical model will have the simplicity of a correct
physiological model.

As my supervisor once said ... an accurate lumped model will describe at
least 70% of the auditory features we perceive... in my opinion, I also
agree ... and what a model it will be once we all create it !

Public Projects :