Five string bass

Arturo Camacho wrote:
Pierre,

What about the lowest note in a 5-string bass B=30.9 Hz? When I hear a
5-string bass playing this note I am pretty sure I hear that pitch. One
way I could prove it to myself is by playing B one octave above (B=61.8
Hz) and then B=30.9 Hz right after. I am pretty sure I would hear an
interval of an octave between them (I have been musician all my life so I
am pretty confident I know how an octave sounds like). Therefore, I
conclude I can hear a pitch of 30.9.

I guess any bass player would agree with me. Otherwise, why do they bother
paying more for that extra string?

Arturo

Dear Arturo,

Why do they pay extra (I guess I should say we, since I owned one once) for the extra string? Because it looks cool! The only four string bass players now are guys who are going for the "retro" look. In fact, now you need at least a six-string bass to have cred. I tried to get people interested once in a 32-string bass, the lowest notes of which would crack concrete and cause submarines to divert course 3,000 miles away. Alas, it was declared a public hazard.

Brian