Re: Acoustical similarity

there may be something of interest to you in Villa Pulkki's approach at
HUT.Fi. he algorithmically separates source and reflected sound to good

>>> "Bruno L. Giordano" <bruno.giordano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 05/02/2007
15:45 >>>
Hello James,

I use features for the quantification of the acoustical correlates of
behavioral data.

However, the very process of the definition of the features requires
making guesses (i.e., assumptions) about what is perceptually

While this problem might not be incredibly pressing for the researcher

working on simple, synthetic stimuli, it can become painful when
perception of complex everyday sounds is of interest. Indeed, given the

informational richness of these latter, it is possible that the
researcher, in the features-definition process, does not capture all of

what is used by a listener.

Therefore the idea of general metrics.