Re: Pitch learning

I suspect that if you'll look at some of the literature on piano and related
instrument tuning that you'll find that beat counting and/or the "feel" of the
beats as they combine are a large help in recognition tasks.  Timbre enters into
the situation for those musicians who can recognize structure on one instrument
better than another but for those who's pitch recognition is both good and
accurate at least teaching research seems to indicate a beat count/recognition
mechanism.

Tom Brennan  KD5VIJ, CCC-A/SLP
web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html