Re: Pitch learning

Dick,

The experiments to support the fundamentals you stated were operated on the subjects with western music background, or using the stimuli with the assumption of western musical instruments (e.g. sounds with harmonic series, but not with strong inharmonicity, unusual spectral envelope or asymmetry energy decay distribution, which we often find in non-western music.) I expect to see more cross-cultural studies on sound perception (there should be, simply that I'm not aware of) which potentially support the diversity in pitch perception. We cannot neglect these non-western musical sounds being odd or marginal - non-western population is about 80% of the world.

 - hiroko