Re: Pitch learning

I think you are confusing expressive freedom with the absence of an underlying system. Expressive devices usually gain their power by being perceived as deviations from an implied norm or standard. However, as I am not an expert on pitch or intonation, let alone on non-Western music, I cannot say much more than that. I hope the experts will send their reactions.

Best,
Bruno
--
Bruno H. Repp
Haskins Laboratories

NOTE: I am at Rutgers University, Newark, two days each week,
usually Wednesday and Friday, and don't read my
Haskins e-mail on those days. To reach me at Rutgers, send
e-mail to <repp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.