Re: By any other name...

Dear Bruno,

I have a little bit philosophical answer.  You can think that the sound is
"either present or absent."  What is really interesting is that the
perceptual system seems to prefer one of the solutions in some contexts.
Probably, we need an explanation at a higher level, at least in some cases.
Now, there is a case, where we definitely need such an explanation.  My
colleagues and I recently reported an auditory phenomenon where a glide tone
with a real temporal gap, where there is no sound energy, can be perceived
reasonably continuous:

Gerard Remijn, Yoshitaka Nakajima, and Shunsuke Tanaka, "Perceptual
completion of a sound with a short silent gap," Perception (in press).

Because the paper is still in press, I would like to show you the abstract
here:

Abstract

Listeners reported the perceptual completion of a sound in stimuli
consisting of two crossing frequency glides of unequal duration that shared
a short silent gap (40 ms or less) at their crossing point. Even though both
glides shared the gap, it was consistently perceived only in the shorter
glide, whereas the longer glide could be perceptually completed. Studies on
perceptual completion in the auditory domain reported so far have shown that
completion of a sound with a gap occurs only if the gap is filled with
energy from another sound. In the stimuli used here, however, no such
substitute energy was present in the gap, showing evidence for perceptual
completion of a sound without local stimulation ('modal' completion). The
results show that the perceptual completion of the long glide occurred under
both monaural and dichotic presentation of the gap-sharing glides, and
therefore involves central stages of auditory processing. The inclusion of
the gap in the short glide, rather than in both the long and the short
glide, is explained in terms of auditory event and stream formation.

  Best regards,
  Yoshitaka

Yoshitaka NAKAJIMA, PhD
Professor, Dept. of Acoustic Design