Re: By any other name... (and other Italian contributions to auditory perception)

Dear list members,

I thought Italians could have at least one first-discovery in hearing perception but Al Bregman showed me I was wrong (see below). However, I reckon no one can argue that, at least, we won the 2006 football world cup!

P.S.

The first formal report that I could find about perceptual grouping of
tones was by Otto Otrmann:

Ortmann, O., (1926) On the melodic relativity of tones. Psychological
Monographs, 35, Whole No. 162.

Although he used a different terminology (e.g., "association") than
the one we now use, he clearly described the perceptual grouping of
tones by frequency.

Massimo Grassi - PhD
Dipartimento di Psicologia Generale
Via Venezia 8 - 35131 Padova - Italy
http://www.psy.unipd.it/~grassi

SEMEL (SErvizio di Messaging ELettronico) - CSIT -Universita' di Udine