Verbal imitations of everyday sounds

Dear list,
We are currently starting a new project aiming at studying how people
verbally imitate everyday sounds, when they have to communicate to
another person what they have heard (onomatopoeia, or non-standardized
verbal imitations).
I must say that we have found very few literature on this topic, safe
from the work of Lass et al. in the early 80's. So I would greatly
appreciate if someone could provide me with with some references on such
verbal imitations (phonological, acoustical, linguistic, cognitive
studies) ?
Thank you very much indeed !
Best regards
Guillaume Lemaitre