Re: Psychoacoutics experiments with large N

Dear Massimo,

I've briefly browsed through my collection of papers and two studies on the precedence effect came up which employ a large number of subjects. Both are by Saberi and his colleagues so I guess (but do not remember for sure) that they use the same experimental data.

These are:

1) Kourosh Saberi and Joseph V. Antonio, Precedence-effect thresholds for a population of untrained listeners as a function of stimulus intensity and interclick interval, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 114, 420 (2003) [127 subjects]

2) Kourosh Saberi, Joseph V. Antonio, and Agavni Petrosyan, A population study of the precedence effect, Hearing Res., 191, 1-13, (2003) [99 subjects]

You may also find papers by Isherwood, Zacharov and others on generalised listener selection (GLS) procedure interesting as this is how companies like B&O, Nokia, etc. select their listener panels for product evaluation. The following paper investigates the selection of 30 listeners from among 300 candidates.

3) David Isherwood, Gaetan Lorho, Nick Zacharov, Ville-Veikko Mattila, Augmentation, Application and Verification of the Generalized Listener Selection Procedure, Presented at the 115th AES Conv., Preprint #5894, (2003)

Hope this helps,

All the best,

Hüseyin
Dr Hüseyin Hacihabiboglu
I-Lab / CCSR
University of Surrey, Guildford GU2 7XH, Surrey, United Kingdom
Tel:  +44 1483 683435
Fax: +44 1483 686011
e-mail: h.hacihabiboglu@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www: http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/H.Hacihabiboglu/
VoIP: husshho (skype)
Sound has the power to make the world a better place