Re: AUDITORY Digest - 28 Jun 2007 to 29 Jun 2007 (#2007-142)

Auditory list,

Large-n experiments are mostly found in the clinical literature,
beginning back with the studies that were the source of the earliest
audiometric zero, for example the one done at the Wisconsin State Fair.
More recent studies have often used clinical populations, such as
children with language difficulties or adult hearing-aid users, to
determine the distribution of various auditory abilities in those
populations, generally in comparison with matched unaffected controls.
However there have been a smaller number of efforts to determine the
distribution of sensitivity and acuity (spectral and temporal) in the
population of adult listeners with normal audiograms.  In the paper
below by Johnson et al we reviewed a number of these, going back to the
1940's. Surprenant and I published a test-battery study with 130 or so
listeners and this work is extended in an in-press JASA paper by Kidd,
Gygi and myself, by a study with 340 listeners (19 auditory tasks). The
most recent study included measures of the recognition of speech and of
familiar environmental sounds. A recurring theme over the past 60 years
is that individual differences in speech recognition are not predicted
by [reliable measures of] differences in spectral-temporal acuity
measured with various psychoacoustic tasks. An addition to this old
news, in the most recent work, is that individual differences in the
ability to identify speech stimuli seem to be correlated with the
ability to recognize other familiar sounds. In other words, it appears
that differences in top-down processing account for more variance in
familiar sound recognition than do differences in spectral-temporal
acuity...in the general population. And, in case one wonders, these
difference in recognition abilities are not strongly related to general
intelligence.

Forgive the "commercial message" but the modest number of responses to
questions about large-n studies provoked it.

Chuck Watson

Johnson, D. M., Watson, C. S. and Jensen, J.K. (1987) Individual
differences in auditory 	capabilities. I. J. Acoust. Soc. Am.,
81, 427-38.

Surprenant, A. M. and  Watson, C.S. (2001) Individual differences in the
processing of 	speech and nonspeech sounds by normal-hearing listeners.
J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 	110, 2085-95.