Vos and Troost 1989

Hello all,
I have been looking at the paper by Vos and Troost
(1989) - Ascending and Descending Melodic Intervals:
Statistical findings and their perceptual relevance.
In the methods they state that selected between 10 ans
20 percent of all indexed beginnings of predominantly
instrumental pieces of work by a number of composers.
Does anyone know any futher dtail about this work?
Also I am puzzled as to how they determined the
melodic pattern - reported in the subsection
-procedure.
When I code complete melodies (from ABC) the
distribution looks distincly different from that
reported in the article and which is cited frequently
in the subsequent literature.
Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Debbie

http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/