Re: How much is needed for sound identification ?

Hi Jim:

Isn't that a test of sound discrimination rather than identification?

Best,
Bruno

I did a follow-up to the 1993 paper that Brian mentions and in that follow-up I used the gated stimulus paradigm.
I further chose stimulus alternatives that had been confused in the initial identification study.
After presenting the pair of sounds that had been confused, the subjects then heard one of the sounds with duration increased in 50 ms increments. Very little of the sound was needed to make the choice between which of the pair was being heard.

The paper was presented at ICAD 94, and I can scan it and send it to anyone who would want it.

The results are very task specific--the listeners could quickly adopt a strategy to focus on an initial acoustic difference between the pair and once they heard this cue, make their judgement.

However, Guillaume et al (ICAD 2004, available at http://icad.org/websiteV2.0/Conferences/ICAD2004/posters/guillaume_etal.pdf) also using a gated paradigm found that very little of the sound is needed.

Jim