Re: HC selectivity ... was Re: Physiological models of cochlea activity - alternatives to the travelling wave

Hi Reggie, Bob and the group,

In the linear case I agree with you Reggie.

But hair cell physiology is not linear. The closest they get is with the
Goldman-Hodgkin-Katz [1] equation. The furthest they get is with kinetic
algorithms [references not listed].

For this reason I would write .. actually BEGIN to write the membrane
frequency dependence with respect to other signals like this

                              1
wc(t) =  =========================================
           ___          _
          |__ \        (_)
             ) |  _ __  _
            / /  | '_ \| |
           / /_  | |_) | |   r(t)c(t)
          |____| | .__/|_|
                 | |
                 |_|

A nonlinear impedance. The time factor being the important change ...

I don't believe that it is valid to give hair cell selectivity a first
order electrical model.... Sorry ... as simple as that...

For this reason, previous assumptions on the frequency selectivity of
the cochlea hair cell is - in terms of frequency distributed power -
incorrect.

A lot of mind or mathematical models may have incorrect assumptions to
date.

The time dependent model should be able to explain frequency dispersion
and a certain amount of hair cell adaptation.

sincerely
Matt

[1] @BOOK{Hille:2001,
  title = {Ion Channels of Excitable Membranes (3rd Edition)},
  publisher = {Sinauer Associates},
  year = {2001},
  author = {Hille, B.},
  month = {July},