Re: STATO-ACOUSTIC ORGAN and cochlea

Kevin Austin asked:

Is the term "lateral organ' an oversimplification of a multi-dimensional process for the transduction of vibration / pressure waves / positional information?

It is called lateral line organ. The ciliae of this organ do the same as ciliae in the inner ear, and the same as the insect antennae: detection of pressure gradients.

Could someone point me to an article that would answer my question; Is the cochlea the evolutionary end of the lateral organ?

Not "the evolutionary end", but ***one*** evolutionary continuation.

You find this described in the evolution chapter(s) in text books of hearing.

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music
S-671 95 Klässbol