Devices for recording and impulse response measurements: revised version (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I've gotten several very helpful suggestions - but so far, I'm only
clearer on what we need - not necessarily on what to get! I'm hoping
that if I clarify and revise my original request for suggestions, that
some of the suggestions will be nearer to what we need.

We're looking for a portable system or two portable systems to do the
following tasks:

1. Record sounds in the environment, including weaponfire at levels of
approximately 145 dB SPL (peak), and do real-time analysis, including
measurement of various kinds of SPLS.

2. Record (binaural) impulse responses, mostly for the creation of
virtual environments, but also for characterization of research
laboratories, etc.

We have quality microphones, loudspeakers and amps that should suffice
in most cases, although specific considerations and suggestions are
welcome.

What we are really looking for is a user friendly software package that
does the real-time analysis and recording and an external sound card to
use with a laptop. Ideally, this system could be calibrated so that the
software gives absolute values - but this isn't essential. Our current
system does allow for this. However, when used for recording of very
loud sounds, there seems to be no way to turn the autorange feature off,
which means that the resulting recordings are severely clipped.

We've gotten some good suggestions for the room acoustics features
described in #2, but I'd like to be sure that we cannot get a single
system that will do both tasks before proceeding.

Thanks again for the useful suggestions!
Angelique

They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not
laughing now. -Bob Monkhouse, comedian (1928-2003)

Angelique Scharine PhD
Army Research Lab - HRED
AMSRD-ARL-HR-SD
APG, MD 21005-5425