Re: Hearing Conservation Presentation Available

Hi Pat,

While I enjoyed your presentation, it follows in the old tradition of "don't
do it because it is bad." This kind of message has not yet made a
significant difference in the behavior of most people in our culture.

Some time ago, I took a fresh look at the issue of loud music and came to
the conclusion that there is a positive reward for this kind of destructive
behavior. In my view, by not addressing the motivation for excessive
loudness, real change is less likely.

I wrote an article for eContact, which lists some of the rewards for this
kind of destructive behavior. A copy can be found at
http://www.blesser.net/downloads/eContact%20Loud%20Music.pdf.

Given the relatively high frequency of Tinnitus, anyone interested in sound
and audio should become educated on what is known about this disability.
There is also a review article from eContact that summarizes what is known.
It can be found at http://www.blesser.net/downloads/eContact%20Tinnitus.pdf

In my view, a full dialog is only possible when the trade-offs between
positive and negatives are carefully presented.

The most important consequence of a hearing disability is not just that
music is degraded but that social cohesion is undermined. As a result, those
with a significant hearing loss experience an emotional and psychiatric
burden. A study by a doctor in the 1950s in England found that the most
frequent explanation for psychotic symptoms in the elderly population was
undiagnosed hear loss. A parallel study at Stanford University in the 1980s
showed that simulated hearing loss among the normal population produced
psychiatric symptoms in less than a day.

Regards,
Barry Blesser