From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception [mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of adil raja
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 6:18 PM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: speech degradation in a GSM network transmission

Hi,
   You may want to try to use signal-correlated noise. ITU-T recommends on using Modulated Noise Reference Unit (MNRU) for this (please google it). I guess it is also available in ITU-T's standard tools library (?) (dont have refs at the moment). However, it is quite easy to implement it in Matlab. Signal correlated noise also affects the spectral envelope of the signal. As a matter of fact various researchers have endeavored to model its effect using measures such as cepstral deviation etc. Another way to induce spectral distortion in to the signal is to treat it with a codec (after all thats what codecs are good at (among other things)). Signal correlated noise is a feature of waveform codecs (such as u-law compander etc).

I hope that helps?
Regards,
Adil Raja