Re: experimental breaks from listening

It depends on the task and the subject. I think it's appropriate to provide the opportunity for a short break about every 10 minutes, but some subjects won't need it. Our subjects will generally go 20-30 minutes and sometimes more without leaving the seat; however, they could theoretically stop for a break after any trial. They can take pauses any time since the tasks are self-paced. I generally make them take a break if they linger on more than 30 minutes; but otherwise allow them the freedom to decide. Fatigued subjects are not a good thing. It's a variable we try to avoid.