listener fatigue

I am participating on a panel at the upcoming Audio Engineering Society
convention in San Francisco. The subject is listener fatigue. The term is
used quite often anecdotally, but I have yet to come across any studies
done to define it or to describe its causes.
I would like to bring as much current and useful information to the
professional community as possible, especially in terms of the effects of
audio that has been heavily processed for loudness and for bit rate
reduction.
If anyone out there can point me to studies or literature on the subject,
I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks for your help!
Marvin Caesar