4. experimental design program - Macs

Dear List, and dear Anjali,
if Matlab looks a bit too "scary" for the coding part (you can do interfaces with it, but it's still a command line software), but if you still need the flexibility that the Matlab platform gives, I'd suggest to start looking to MaxMSP (www.cycling74.com). It's a sort of "object-graphical" programming language (not to be confused with the object programming languages like C++ and Java...), sufficiently intuitive and extremely flexible, normally used by musicians and composer, but which can be easily used for auditory experiments applications (I've been using it in the past 4 years, and it's for sure a good choice).
Then, it even offers the possibility to run Javascript codes and to program your own C++ objets (there are really good already-made XCode projects), in case you need particular functionalities which are not offered within the standard object library (of course, there are even thousand of objects downloadable online...).
I hope this helps, and if you need any more information or suggestion about MaxMSP, feel free to write me!

Lorenzo Picinali

Lorenzo Picinali
PhD Student
Music, Technology and Innovation Research Centre
0116 2551551, internal 6770
Clephan Building CL0.19
De Montfort University