From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception [mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cote, Nicolas
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 2:02 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AUDITORY] spectral shape + perceptual distance

Dear Andy,

A further investigation was done in the following contribution:

Waeltermann, M., Raake, A., Moeller, S. (2008). "The Sound Character Space of Spectrally Distorted Telephone Speech and its Impact on Quality". In: Proc. 124th AES Convention, 17-20 May, NL-Amsterdam, Paper No. 7464.

There, the perceptual space of linearly distorted telephone speech has been revealed by Multidimensional Scaling (MDS). It has been shown that the two dimensions highly correlate with two parameters that can be extracted from the gain function of the channel. A model for the resulting subjective quality is given.

Significant work in this direction has also been done by Moore and co-workers:

Moore, B. C. J., and Tan, C. T. (2003). "Perceived naturalness of spectrally distorted speech and music," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 114, 408-419.

Moore, B. C. J., and Tan, C. T. (2004). "Development and validation of a method for predicting the perceived naturalness of sounds subjected to spectral distortion," J. Audio Eng. Soc. 52, 900-914.

They developed sophisticated models for naturalness prediction of spectrally distorted signals.

In all these papers, comprehensive lists of related literature are given.

Best regards,
Nicolas Côté