Re: Phd copy request (Weintraub 1985)

Hello All,

I'm unsure how it compares to Weintraub's method, but Volker Hohmann also produced some work regarding synthesis at the output of a gamma-tone filter bank.  The citation and abstract are below.

Cheers,
Bill Woods
Principal Research Scientist
Starkey Hearing Research Center
Berkeley, CA

V. Hohmann
Frequency analysis and synthesis using a Gammatone filterbank
ACTA ACUSTICA UNITED WITH ACUSTICA  Vol. 88 (2002) 433 – 442

This paper describes an efficient implementation of the 4th-order linear Gammatone filter [1, 2] based on an
impulse-invariant, all-pole design. A linear auditory filterbank is constructed from these filters, which has been used in several applications involving computational auditory peripheral filtering [3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]. Additionally, a novel approach to the recombination of the Gammatone filterbank output is introduced that allows for the resynthesis of the signal with a total time delay of 4ms. The signal reconstruction is nearly perfect, i.e., the difference between input and reconstructed output is barely audible. A detailed technical description of the analysis-synthesis system is given and an implementation using the Matlab programming environment is introduced, which is available online. A possible application of the analysis/synthesis system introduced here is speech processing for hearing aids.