Re: very long mp3 files

Were it me, I'd knock together an MP3 decoder in Java (using tritonus/JLayer) and write the audio stream down as a WAV file or other PCM format. It should stream the MP3 file avoiding any memory issues (we've played days long recordings this way). There would be nothing stopping you from breaking every X minutes and starting a new WAV file.

This piece of code:
http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/desktop/media/jmf/2.1.1/solutions/Transcode.java
Appears to transcode from one format to another and only write out the portion between the specified time indices - note you would need the Jlayer, tritonus and mp3spi Jar files on your classpath.

Alternatively if you download the JLayer source from: http://www.javazoom.net/javalayer
An example format converter class is provided: javazoom.jl.converter.Converter
A few simple tweaks to this would allow it to start a new file every N frames.

Finally the VLC media player can transcode a segment of a file. However you would have to give it the time indices of the chunk to do each time.