Date:         Wed, 17 May 2006 15:07:02 -0500
From: beaucham <beaucham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: critical band vocoder
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For many years vocoders were used for data reduction of speech signals.
A vocoder separates the input signal into consecutive bands, .
.

Recently, mel-frequency cepstral coefficients have been popular for
speech recognition. Mel frequency spacing is approximately proportional
to critical-band frequency spacing.

Only approximately - and not closely proportional. Ironically, although Stevens stressed the purported proportionality, if equal numbers of Mels had been any more closely proportional to either equal distances on Bekesy's map or to CB (the actual data is meant here - not Zwicker's CB curve, which differs in major respects from the CB data). the less justified would Stevens' other conclusion have been that equal pitch differences did NOT correspond to equal frequency ratios (which much annoyed musicians and John Pierce). An almost logarithmic map, as Bekesy's map obviously was, implies that equal distances correspond closely to equal frequency ratios except where the "almost" becomes relevant, i.e. below 400 to 500 Hz. But perhaps Stevens' "other conclusion" was mainly an unexamined hangover from the discarded and very different 1937 mel scale, obtained by a different method.

Furthermore, the mel scale's popularity has had little justification. There have been good reasons for not using the mel scale for many years. A major one was that it (the 1940 mel scale) was not replicated by Lewis (1942) nor checked by anyone else (so far as I know) until 1956 (at Steven's behest). The full results of that 1956 check (not actually intended to be a check of the mel scale itself - though the results turned out that way) were published in Hearing Research in 97:

Greenwood, D.D. (1997) The Mel Scale's disqualifying bias and a consistency of pitch-difference equisections in 1956 with equal cochlear distances and equal frequency ratios, Hearing Res. 103, 199-2248.

A shorter paper of similar content was presented (and 'published') at the 97 Fechner Society meeting in Poznan, Poland under the title: "THE MEL SCALE'S BIAS AND EQUAL PITCH-DIFFERENCES: IMPLICATIONS OF AN ALMOST LOGARITHMIC COCHLEA AND POSSIBLY SUBJECT-DEPENDENT CRITERIA".

[Stevens' reference to the 1956 methodological check (in a 1957 paper of his [Stevens, S.S. (1957) On the psychophysical law, Psychol. Rev., 64, 153-181]) was in relation to the distinction he conceived between different types of scales (metathetic vs prothetic) rather than to the further implication of the results in respect to the mel scale itself - which he may never have considered.]

My question is: Has anyone designed
and tested a vocoder using critical-band spacing of the filters?

Mine also. I suggested this for the sound spectrogram, and later vocoder, numerous times (starting in the 60s) to colleagues in speech, and to miscellaneous others, to no observed effect.

Cheers (and greetings to Jont if you see him),

DDG

[This greeting to Jont still applies.]

A Part of the Abstract of my 1997 Mel paper should provide the reasons Stevens wanted the experiment done and a brief statement of the outcomes.

"Abstract of first 1997 paper cited above
In 1956, Stevens "commissioned" an experiment to equisect a pitch difference between two tones. Results appear to reveal a methodological flaw that would invalidate the Mel Scale (Stevens and Volkmann, 1940). Stevens sought to distinguish sensory continua, e.g. loudness and pitch, on various criteria. He expected that the pitch continuum would not exhibit "hysteresis"; i.e., that subjects dividing a pitch difference (Df) into equal-appearing parts would not set dividing frequencies higher when listening to notes in ascending order than in descending order. Seven subjects equisected a pitch difference, between tones of 400 and 7000 Hz, into equal-seeming parts by adjusting the frequencies of three intermediate tones. All seven exhibited hysteresis, contrary to expectation. This outcome bears on other issues: Years prior, Stevens suggested that equal pitch differences might correspond to equal cochlear distances, but not to equal frequency ratios nor to equal musical intervals (Stevens and Davis, 1938; Stevens and Volkmann, 1940). In 1960 (reported now), both the 1940 Mel scale and the equal-pitch differences of 1956 were compared to equal cochlear distances, using a frequency-position function that fitted Békésy's cochlear map (Greenwood, 1961; 1990). When ascending and descending settings were combined to contra-pose biases, equal pitch differences did coincide with equal distances - which the Mel Scale did not. Further, the biased ascending-order data coincided with the Mel scale, suggesting the Mel scale was similarly biased. Thus, the combined-order equal-pitch differences of 1956 - but not the Mel scale - are consistent with equal cochlear distances. But, since the map between 400 and 7000 Hz is nearly logarithmic, equal frequency ratios also approximate equal distances. Ironically, above 400 Hz, Békésy's map and Stevens' equal-distance hypothesis jointly imply that musical intervals will nearly agree with equal pitch differences, which Stevens thought he had disconfirmed. But, given Békésy's map, only near the cochlear apex will equal distances not approximate equal frequency ratios; . . . "

I hope this belated 2006 "post" - and the 1997 paper - may be of interest.

- Donald