Re: MFCC method

Arturo,

You are right that the normal cepstrum is partly motivated by the periodic frequency spectrum ripples than come from the pitch harmonics. There's not a lot of logic to using a Fourier or cosine transform on a warped frequency scale if you're looking for those pitch ripples. The real "logic", in retrospect at least, is the observation of Pols that the principle components capture most of the variance using a few smooth basis functions, smoothing away the pitch ripples; and the observations of others that the principal components of a collection of vowel spectra on a warped frequency scale aren't so far from the cosine basis functions.

Far be it from me to defend MFCC as a sound representation. But if what you care about is smoothed short-time power spectrum without much pitch effect, it's not bad.

Dick