In addition to Brian's sources, you also might be able to find sounds you are looking for in Laurie Heller's environmental sound recording database ( but I am not sure if tearing and cracking sounds are included).  http://titan.cog.brown.edu:8080/AuditoryLab/data-files

regards,

Valeriy

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Brian Gygi <bgygi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Claire,

Valeriy Shafiro and I have been collecting and gathering norms on a variety of such sounds.  We plan to put it in a seachable database, but that is in the TBD file.  If you tell me off-list how many examples of each you want, I can make them available to you.

Also, there are databases of free sounds, such as www.soundsnap.com and http://www.freesound.org but it can take a while to find exactly what you want.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Cecile Picard [mailto:cecile.picard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 09:07 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Looking for tearing and crackling sounds

Dear list, I'm looking for tearing sounds (like tearing cloth) and crackling sounds (like paper). Does anyboy know where I can find a database of such recordings? Thanks. Cécile Cécile Picard, PhD student REVES, INRIA Sophia-Antipolis / EVASION, INRIA Rhône Alpes email: Cecile.Picard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- INRIA Sophia-Antipolis, 2004 route des Lucioles, BP 93 F-06902 Sophia Antipolis, France INRIA Rhône-Alpes, 655 avenue de l'Europe F-38330 Montbonnot Saint Martin, France +33 (0)4 76 61 54 49