Re: Music, emotion, memory of passages and content analysis (LSA)

Daniel,

Latent semantic analysis looks at the co-occurrence of words in large text
databases and determines semantic similarity between whole documents and words
based on these co-occurrences (or context).  Your stimulus set is not going to
be large enough to run LSA on, but there are databases of words that have been
found to be similar based on the analysis of such data sets and you can look up
words there. WordNet, http://wordnet.princeton.edu/, is one such database, but
again it's more of a text-based thesaurus than a validation that "happy" is a
positive emotion.

I think you want to use a standardized database that gives normative ratings for
words (i.e., how people perceive these words) not an analysis based on
co-occurrence.  I think that human ratings would be considered a more valid
validation for your study's words.  One such database is:

Bradley, M. M., & Lang, P. J. (1999). Affective norms for English
words [CD-ROM]. Gainesville: University of Florida, NIMH Center
for the Study of Emotion and Attention.

If you can't get this database, a paper that utilizes it is here (you should
look at this anyway for other lexical variables that you'll want to control):
http://web.mit.edu/bnl/pdf/Kensinger_Corkin_MC03.pdf and Dr. Kensinger might
share her word list with you.

Others on the music side will have to chime in as to whether any ratings exist
for music, but you'll want to control the same variables there too (music
familiarity, frequency of different musical elements, etc.), although I'm not
sure how often emotional music studies consider these potential confounds
because I'm not as familiar with that area.

Good Luck,
Brandon

--------------------------------
Brandon Abbs, Ph.D.